« How important are independents? | Main | Best E3 IP »

Sunday, May 14, 2006


Robert Howarth

I didn't see any of you 3D Realms there but I did play Prey MP for like 20 minutes. It was really a ton of fun.

Jeron Moore

Thinking more on it, I'm really reserving the "wait and see" philosophy for the Wii controller. I'm tempted to go with you on it, Scott - but my affinity for Nintendo keeps me hopeful. I didn't have 2+ hours to wait in line either - too impatient - but as you know I offered a guy 20 bucks and cut to the very front. 5 minutes was much more reasonable than 5 hours. I even got my 20 bucks back, ha. Very cool. That's the way to bypass a poorly run booth - at least on the outside.

On the inside I found myself equally as frustrated; in order to actually play the Wii w/ a Nintendo Rep guiding you through it, you had to sign a waiting list per-game in the rotunda, or - exit into the outer ring and join the push-shove crowd where there was less supervision. I did get a chance to play the "virtual console" demo - only 1 person in line for that demo. Apparently no one was interested in seeing how Nintendo plans on "iTuning" their back-catalog.

Overall, not a good experience... but I remain optimistic for them, if only because I enjoy their games. I guess we'll see if the Wii is truly an industry breakthrough as it's being called... if it doesn't take off in the way they are hoping, I'll be very disappointed.


Patrick Johnson Jr.

Developers see that licenses will bring in money, because of a pre-existing fanbase that you're "guarenteed." Movies are a good example of this cause it creates buzz about the game and the movie at the same time, so the game developer/publisher and the movie studio see it as a win/win.

Example of pushing the limit on licenses: Desparate Housewifes, using Paris Hilton to sell some bejeweled knock-off. It'll sell somehow.

I'm in favor of unique IP because A) seeing a correctly done game on a Licensed Franchise is rare, B) it's something that is unique to games (though it might be a sequeled game or there's been a few or many iterations: see Duke Nukem ;)).

Charles E. Hardwidge

Some people talk and talk,
Some people do and do.
Some people do and talk,
Some people talk and do.

I guess, this is what the human zoo looks like to a dog.

Ben H

Rogue Trooper's name might sound generic, but it's licensed from an old 2000AD comic character that a lot of UK gamers will remember fondly. It sounds like they've done the setting justice, rather than tacking it on to a generic shooter. It is a last-gen game - in that it's not out on the Xbox 360 - but it makes more sense than most licensed titles. From what I've heard, it's a decent (if not amazing) game too.


The Wii secret revealed!!!!: http://www.n-dimension.blogspot.com/ in Spanish (¡?), please anyone translate?!

Charles E. Hardwidge

I read Rogue Trooper back in its day. Good stuff. Rebellion have turned out a competent title with a few niggles, but it's a fair creative and technical effort overall, and some elements of it are excellent. It’s a much better effort than their last game and, this time, suggests that if they continue to develop as they are they’ll produce something amazing one day. Whether they do or not is down to them. Better to start slow and end well, etcetera.

For those who aren't familiar with Rogue Trooper, the game does a reasonable job of introducing the character and wider world. It touches on the Gene Genies, the genetic doctors who created the G.I.'s (Genetic Infantryman), the one stroke kill which flipped into the Quartz Zone massacre, and his only companions, personalities frozen in Bio Chips at the moment of their death. Between cut-scene and gameplay, it has some value as a narrative.

I don't like many games. No matter how clever or polished, I don’t like Prey. Rogue Trooper isn’t especially clever and lacks polish, but I liked it. If there’s a reason for that, it’s the visual, gameplay, and story narrative. My mind might be playing tricks with me as I read and enjoyed the original Rogue Trooper stories and artwork, but I’m not totally convinced about that. I can look at Prey and find things I like, just as much as I can look at Rogue Trooper and find things I don’t like.

I guess, it’s a question of taste.

Brian 'Psychochild' Green

Personally, I've heard just the opposite from people about the Wii controller: it's pretty sweet from what I've heard. A journalist I know said that she was actually impressed with the EA sports titles on the Wii, and this might actually get her interested in sports games more. I suspect the negative things developers are saying come from the general conservatism of the industry. How many programmers do you know of that clung stubbornly to C even after all the old "problems" with C++ were cleared up? The new controller is scary for most developers and they don't know what to do with it yet. I suspect they should learn quick because it seems gamers are warming up to the idea. This is one reason why we don't see a whole lot of "innovation" or new things in the industry, because it scares people.

But, yeah, the setup to see the Wii was dumb. But, forbidden fruit is the tastiest, and I'm sure Nintendo got a few more people interested in seeing the Wii because of the long line.

And way too many fantasy MMOs with interfaces that pretty much clone WoW's!

And this will continue until it stops being profitable to make fantasy online games. Blizzard proved all the old naysayers wrong when they said the market was saturated for fantasy games and no other game could possibly benefit in the space. It just takes a game with something going for it (like a strong brand and loyal followers) to do better. I'm sure Bioware's upcoming MMO, which almost certainly will be fantasy, will still do quite well. Of course, most of the people building yet another fantasy online game don't have these aces up their sleeves.

As for cloning WoW's interface: it works and people know it. If you're doing a clone, might as well clone the thing that was done really well. Interface design is really hard, so cribbing off a successful example is just smart, I think. It's important to differentiate your product, but I don't think the interface is one of those areas to attempt major changes.

I'm also a bit surprised you aren't talking about one of the most successful new brands: Guitar Hero. I saw the game behind closed doors a year ago, and what a difference a year made! They went from a small room to a sizable booth in Kentia, and now Activision has bought Red Octane. A great example of what happens when you take the plunge and make a great new game that's different than everything else out there. I'm looking forward to Guitar Hero 2, personally.

My thoughts,


Scott, instead of posting an offhand comment on Wii at the end of your post that will surely inspire countless flames, why not actually elaborate on what kind of negative comments you heard? Your comment is a bit useless as it is now.

To be honest I think you might be working in a game development bubble if the people you talk to aren't at least cautiously optimistic about the Wii controller. I'm also a developer and everyone (almost literally everyone...) I talk to who has actually played on the Wii is nuts about it. I even know a guy who quit his company because they weren't going to do Wii games.

Tom Schaffer

i wasn't at E3, but other devs and journalists I know have been there and were thrilled by the Wii - some of them were surprised, because they had been very sceptical before (and because they went to the booth one day before the fair opened, they also didn't have to wait in the long line ;)) the controller is said to be extremely precise and the feeling of playing should make you smile within seconds. I can't wait to get my hands on the Wii for myself.

I guess it's not Big N who should be aware.


Based on what I saw online of E3, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Wii controller, but I'm wondering about the real depth of interaction it creates. It seems awesome for small games like Warioware and sports, but I'm still wondering what it genuinly adds to bigger games. Sure swinging a baseball bat by swinging the controller seems fun, but that doesn't make a game I'd play for 10 hours. Neither Zelda nor Red Steel used the wiimote in a compelling way. I really wish Nintendo would bring a breath of fresh air in design with this controller, but I guess I'm still unconvinced it's more than a gimmick.

As for the endless licenses, the cynic in me says it's just lazyness on gaming's marketers part. If you're marketing the King Kong game, all you have to do is tell people "It's the King Kong game!" and they're interested. The hard part -- making people care about King Kong -- has already been done by the movie industry. If you're working on marketing a new concept, you have to actually find why people should be interested by it and find a compelling way to explain it. It's a lot easier to just surf the wave of somebody else's hard work.

Kristian Joensen

Scott speaking about that hollywood reporter article, what is your comment to this: http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=12144592 ? ;)


Rowsdower - chances are the comments he heard were classified information. I've heard negative feedback on developing for the controller (not of the end result really), but I can't say what the nature of that feedback is due to NDA's.


Sorry all those games sucked. But how awesome was the Duke Nuked 4-ever showing!!!


You're an idiot Scott

"Prey" is just a rip off of "Turok", so STFU.


You seem to operate under the opinion that every game must be next-gen, must be pushing the tech, must be triple-A. If that were the case then every game would be at a $59.99 price point. There is a market for good games at $29.99. Hate to break it to you but Rogue Trooper probably looks last gen because it is last gen. I saw a lot of games like that at E3. Lots of publishers trying to squeek out the last titles of that platform.

Do you have any concept of how much it costs to develop new IP vs. licensed content? Why not make a quick buck on licensed content? It might not be the greatest game, but it sells and from the business perspective isn't that what publishers are concerned about?

Scott Miller

>>> Do you have any concept of how much it costs to develop new IP vs. licensed content? <<<

We make a lot of new IP -- we've never made a licensed game, and never will. Original IPs are a lot more difficult to make, btw.

>>> "Prey" is just a rip off of "Turok", so STFU. <<<

Yeah, and other idiots said Max Payne was just a rip-off of The Matrix. But more salient to your feeble point, is every game featuring a Native American lead character going to be a Turok rip-off in your mind?

Patrick Johnson Jr.

Wait, didn't Turok get rid of the Indian character in the new demo?... That argument now can be de-validified. By the way person who judged the book by its cover... Turok: Dinosaur Hunter came out in 1997. Prey was announced in/around 1995 with Tom Hall at the helm. Your theory of Prey imitating Turok has been bunker bustered. When you want to make a claim get the facts straight...

I guess that goes back to the old addage of, "Never judge a book by its cover." It seems people forget that this day in age.

Now, to a serious posed question (Concerning Japanese RPGS):

Scott you made mention to the common generic fantasy names they use. Could this be because of translation from Japanese to English, or could be an idiom of game developers over there? Kinda like you stress catchy non-generic game names, except they work with in this realm of these fantasy names.

Josh Hoppes

>> "Prey" is just a rip off of "Turok", so STFU.
You realize Prey was originally conceived back with Duke Nukem Forever.


I like how you skipped over all the other more valid and more poingnant comments. Like how you say negative things about the Wii controller without ever using it. Or how Rogue Trooper is last gen looking and generically named when it is in fact LAST GEN and is obviously named after the comic on which it's based. Why would they call it anything else after 25 years of selling the IP in various forms? This isn't the first Rogue Trooper video game ever made, FYI. I don't know why you even bother to post this crap as it's just hearsay and a lot of ignorant comments on your part. You talk a lot of shit for having not actually released a game in...how many years has it been now? Oh right, a decade.

Brandon Smith

You have just made a complete ass of yourself:

Source: http://www.evilavatar.com/

Let me give you the basic synopsis of what the entire game community thinks of you at this point.

You are a hack that can't get his own game finished so you decide to lambast every other company that is having success. Duke Nukem Forever is a *joke*. 3d-realms is a *joke*. You cannot mention either without laughter ensuing. Seriously.

So a bit of advice... keep your mouth *shut* until you can put your money where your mouth is with your own IP.

Scott Miller

>>> You have just made a complete ass of yourself: <<<

True, because I'm one of the few developers who actually expresses an opinion in public about other people's games. Therefore, I take the arrows in the back. Comes with the territory.

As for the Wiimote, I'm not the one who said it didn't live up to the hype -- again, I only heard this second-hand from numerous developers I respect, who will not be saying this publicly because, well, who likes arrows, after all. I also heard that while the Wiimote was a little awkward, and tiring after extended use, that it still might live up to its potential for unique gameplay.

I'm always one to root for innovation, and I hope Nintendo succeeds. But, the Wiimote might be a stab at innovation that doesn't pay off in the end. That's all. Sony's high price is also a blunder. And because of their high price, I fully expect the Xbox 360 to win this cycle now. My overall market share prediction looks like this in North America: X360 - 55%, PS3 - 25%, Wii - 15%. I think that for mature players, they'll always start with the X360 or the PS3, and then perhaps buy the Wii as a second system. For kids, the Wii will likely be the first system purchased, unless the parent too is a gamer, then they'll likely lean to a mature oriented system.

Let's check back here in four years and then we'll see if I was close.

Scott Miller

>>> keep your mouth *shut* until you can put your money where your mouth is with your own IP. <<<

BTW, both Prey and Max Payne were our IP. We sold the Max IP to Rockstar back in 2002, for a pile of cash that would be more than in most bank vaults. A lot more. So, somehow, we're doing okay, but thanks for the concern.


I think you must be careful about your comments on other titles. There are not many companies that have your enviable financial position. Since you must have very deep pockets, or some very serious backing to have been developing a title through 5 - 7 years and 2 - 3 engines.

Rogue Trooper may be very last gen graphically and the title is tbh abit old school (I still cringe when I recall the name of the chips in the helm,gun and backpack Helm, Gunnar & Bagman).

But its a strip in a comic thats been running 25 years. So it is what it is. A title with history.

Regarding the Wii, the controller may/may not be a pain to develope for, but lets see what can be done with it. I can definitely see the Wii being the 2nd next gen console in the house. With titles that are fun (Yes scary eh?) and you can have a laugh with.

I look forward to 3d realms next title.


I think if you see the IP debate in a larger perspective, you can agree that both devs doing original IP projects and franchise projects are legitimate players in the economy.
As I talked about in a post inspired by Scott's, because of the large uniformity of videogame prices (compared to other industries, anyway - you can get a shirt for $10 and one for $500, you don't have that in the videogame industry) they clash much more with each other, but in other industries it's apparent that different products target different audiences.

">> "Prey" is just a rip off of "Turok", so STFU.
>>>>You realize Prey was originally conceived back with Duke Nukem Forever."

And do YOU realise that Turok was in comic form before Prey was even thought of?

The first comic was published in 1954.

Charles E. Hardwidge

And do YOU realise that Turok was in comic form before Prey was even thought of?

I’ve got a range of IP in various states of being fleshed out, most of which has its genesis in earlier influences. I’ve taken a hard look at it over the years, and the ratio of generic to genuine innovation is minimal. That said, each one would still push the creative and technical envelope if they were more fully realised today, tomorrow, and probably the tomorrow after that.

How they’re pitched completely changes how people perceive them. For example, the most innovative of the lot, in my mind, was unexpectedly compared to a well known science-fiction series when I had feared it would’ve been compared to another. In reality its biggest influence was one which very few people would have heard about, and the epic quest against the backdrop of a space opera would have people screaming Battlestar Galactica rip-off when it was the furthest thing from my mind at the time of creation.

From a creation and critical point of view, there’s a lot of merit in an old argument of mine that people would benefit from making time to bring variety into their lives. It helps stop us from getting stale and taking things for granted. It’s easy to focus too much on one thing, whatever side of the fence you’re on. Looking beyond the Rogue Trooper versus Prey and similar arguments, are the possibilities of this point of view a more useful long-term consideration?

By coincidence an article on BBC Online, The Perils Of A Virtual World, touched on this today.


Rogue Trooper is a good game, just because it looks last gen doesn't make it bad. Did you actually play it? And Prey is by Human Head, Max Payne 1 and 2 were by Remedy, just because you own the properties doesnt mean 3d realms actually made the games. That means 3d realms havent made anything good in house for over a decade. Show duke forever at e3 if its so much better then the games and companies you bashed. I will probably pick up prey but you dont have to be an ass and insult everyone elses work like that.

Scott Miller

Well, Rogue Trooper didn't look like a good game, and on the way back from the show I read in a UK gaming magazine where it was rated 63%. By "look," I also refer to the game's lack of innovation regarding gameplay -- it looked like a standard shooter to me. I saw the game among other Eidos games that where at the Nvidia booth, where I would have assumes Nvidia was showing off games with good graphics. Boy was I was wrong. Overall, the Eidos games demonstrated very clearly to me why Eidos is going down the drain much like Atari.

Also hilarious was a Windows Vista demo on display at the Nvidia booth, which, during a brief demonstration, crashed to the blue-screen-of-death. New OS, same problems. Joy.

As for Max Payne, many of the game's key innovations came from 3D Realms, and the same for Prey. People on the outside have no idea how involved we are with the creation and polish of these games. A alert thinker would perhaps notice how all external studios we work with become so successful, going back to Id Software. Coincidence? Hardly.

<< / QUOTE >>I fully expect the Xbox 360 to win this cycle now. My overall market share prediction looks like this in North America: X360 - 55%, PS3 - 25%, Wii - 15%. I think that for mature players, they'll always start with the X360 or the PS3, and then perhaps buy the Wii as a second system. For kids, the Wii will likely be the first system purchased, unless the parent too is a gamer, then they'll likely lean to a mature oriented system.

Let's check back here in four years and then we'll see if I was close.
<< / QUOTE >>

Just like you said in 2004?
<< / QUOTE >>The Xbox is doomed to eventually fail. But with MSoft's stubbornness and riches, they'll probably keep it going until the third version before tossing in the towel.

<< // QUOTE >>


Charles E. Hardwidge

Well, Rogue Trooper didn't look like a good game, and on the way back from the show I read in a UK gaming magazine where it was rated 63%. By "look," I also refer to the game's lack of innovation regarding gameplay -- it looked like a standard shooter to me.

Having played Rogue Trooper it scored 7/10 while Prey unplayed remains at 6/10, as per my personal marking scheme. I don't tell porkies nor will any amount of tearing clothes make me budge. Experience suggests the mark isn't likely to change.

As for Max Payne, many of the game's key innovations came from 3D Realms, and the same for Prey. People on the outside have no idea how involved we are with the creation and polish of these games. A alert thinker would perhaps notice how all external studios we work with become so successful, going back to Id Software. Coincidence? Hardly.

You've got plenty to be pleased about, but some people might read your exhuberance and passing over more modest efforts isn't good politics. It's got nothing to do with your perspective or character. It's a question of giving people room to breath.

I gave you a way out in my last post. Still, it's your hole.


I enjoyed reading your blog and i appreciate any chance i can get at an inside view of the gaming industry. Now it appears you are focused on console gaming. I myself just started up a PC-gaming blog last night and was looking around for similar blogs. Now i dont know how engaged you are in the RTS genre but since you are a developer, if you have the spare time please read my post and if you could comment on things like why the RTS genre is so static compared to many other genres. Thanks


None of you are correct. The bottom line is that people's perceptions of "things" vary over a broad spectrum. What "looks" good or "feels" good to one person may not to another. It's arbitrary. Also, while Scott, you do take arrows in the back and nobody else will... playing a bit of a martyr eh? I at least applaud you for making an effort. It would be foolish to think that these external studios are successful merely because 3d is attached. It's easy to gloat when the games do well and because you happened to be in the right place at the right time to make an economic windfall. I'd like to see how many games 3d was involved in that tanked or never got made. I don't see any gloating there. Be proud of all of your efforts...not only the ones that do well. Without making mistakes, it'd be hard to make winners. Quite frankly, most of the games today are rehashed, albeit with marginally better graphics, altered plots etc. An fps is still an fps like all the other fps'. How about developing better backgrounds, plots, and twists...and let's not even get started with physics engines. I think as a whole the game industry has become enamored with itself and forgotten that the poor schmucks that plunk down increasinly larger amounts of money for sub standard product are the ones that make their bank accounts grow. You might think of the people who buy your worthless products first instead of yourselves. I'm tired of hearing the argument about how much money it takes to develop a game or brand. Look at the Blizzard / NC Soft saga. I think the game industry could learn a thing from them. Just my 2 cents.

Some guy from germany ;·)

Hmm, rating a game you had just a brief glimpse on it while at a expo and haven't played it yourself ... is kinda lame, imho.

<.obvious joke.> Maybe you should awed us all with a certain game, which was absent for the 5. year from E3 - in a row (if I remember correctly - I'm getting old too) <./obvious joke.>

The new Tomb Raider is a (nearly) fantastic game, and in no way the continuation of the demise the series had been with parts 2 to 6. I can assure you, I've never been a TR fan, and made a lot of jokes about the series since Eidos/Core Design decided to focus rather on Laras boobs than on the game itself (read: immediately after the first parts success), but the change to Crystal Dynamics (which I adore very much as a developer, thanks to SR) brought the series back to old glory.

<.obvious joke #2.> At least I have way more fun *playing* TRL than *waiting* for DN4E ;P <./obvious joke #2.>


I can certainly see where some are getting the "judge not, lest ye be judged" mentality.

However, 3drealms isn't one of the "big boys" sort of speak. They've really never played by the rules and it's actually quite refreshing.

How many of you developers out there have put 8 million dollars of your *OWN* money into developing a game? Didn't think so.

3drealms hasn't taken a dime of development money from anyone for Duke Nukem Forever. It's entirely self financed.

3drealms also doesn't get enough credit for "staying the course" when they faced adversity. They could have cancelled Duke Nukem Forever long ago and been done with it. They've kept pushing on and never gave up and continue to work on it today. (And from what I hear, a good portion of the game is pretty much done ;))

In closing, Scott has every right to his opinions(popular or not). 3drealms ain't a huge EA type company with a zillion employees. They don't play by the "typical" rules of the game industry. Never took a dime of the 8 million used to develop DNF from anyone but themselves. Lastly, they've kept working away on DNF when they could have taken the easy way out and cancelled it long ago. Those are some very admirable traits I don't see much of anymore in the game industry.

Just some perspective.


Scott Miller

Regarding my comment about the Xbox being doomed. That was based on the information available at the time. In fact, the first Xbox was a total disaster from a profit viewpoint -- losing Microsoft around a billion dollars, enough to sink most companies. What gave them a fighting chance was the fact that Nintendo put a gun in their mouth with the Gamecube, thus allowing the Xbox to take second place behind Sony. This wasn't Microsoft's doing, it was Nintendo's undoing.

We are seeing the same thing with this new generation. Sony has the gun in their mouth this time around, pricing their system in the stratosphere, and losing exclusivity to the GTA franchise so that it will now appear on the Xbox 360 simultaneously. (Clearly showing that even Rockstar sees the PS3 losing its leadership hold.)

It's not that Microsoft is doing things right, it's that their competitors are desperately fighting each other for last place this coming generation! Microsoft just needs to stay the course and despite themselves they'll likely come out on top this time around -- at least in North America.

If only we could all be so lucky to have competitors like Nintendo and Sony.

BTW, Nintendo isn't necessarily doing anything wrong with the Wii (giggle -- except for that silly name...was Poo already taken?), it's just that they're saddled as a system for children, for the most part. This ain't good, given that the 17+ market is where the real action is at nowadays.


I agree with you Scott about Sony. Considering the current glut of current consoles and available games, the PS3 is still vaporware at this point no matter how many "demos" Sony runs at various trade events. $600 for a glorified console system no matter the enxtras they add-on is just a waste. Yeah, the 360 will succeed because of Sony and Nintendo mis-steps.


Rob - "How many of you developers out there have put 8 million dollars of your *OWN* money into developing a game? Didn't think so."

Valve - $40mil HL2 + technology.

Scott, I agree and disagree with your points coming from a film background we know all about sequels and licensing but while you may be self financing one or two games the risk factor is apparent(lets face it, dnf is still gonna sell even when it does come out) but lets compare the movie industry to the games industry there are more parrallels than most people think, especially in regards to how projects are greenlighted.

What is the budget for a big AAA game nowadays? I have heard figures reaching $10mil The movie industry would consider that a low risk and probably a budget movie(if you wanna sign an A list its atleast $20mil) with block busters easily reaching $100mil, now at the moment in the industry atleast half of those movies fail to break even; that is a MASSIVE risk on the investors part, just like in the games industry losing money is still a risk - publishers mitigate that risk by using established fanbases and crossovers like games just like game companies mitigate risk by using crossover brands and sequals.

You bang the drum about originality, but lets see you put out aload of original games and if they all fell flat you would quickly find it difficult to get funding for your next project.

The audience will always respond to something different, it's like this - burger bars are popular even though they serve the same thing over and over again; so why are there not just burger bars in the world? Because we would get sick of it, thats why the movie industry puts out movies like MI:3 but we also put out "risk" films like brokeback mountain because we have profits from other films and can afford to take a risk. Just like EA, they can greenlight a game like Spore which is a risk game because they can offset the risk with madden20XX

There will always be the next Madden game while there will always be the next Spore, they both compliment each other.

Charles E. Hardwidge

How many of you developers out there have put 8 million dollars of your *OWN* money into developing a game?

I don’t have that sort of money lying around but I am putting my own money into developing a game, had to restart a few times, and am trying to work out whether it’s worth pushing ahead against a changed environment. Could Scott develop a title on what I’ve got to play with and keep going? Life looks the same from both ends of the telescope.

Scott does keep banging on about how successful he is. Sure, there’s a record of achievement, just as there’s a lot of mediocre efforts out there. The thing is, whether it’s someone coming over as a bragger or a whiner, a so called AAA developer or someone on a shoestring budget, you’ve got to put all that aside and look to yourself to do better.

I just spent a few hours with a politician, trying to get him on board a project that would help put in place a better designed and marketed approach to a significant social issue. The mealy-mouthed foot dragging was something to behold. He had his chance at glory but blew it because he was awash with fear and greed. His vote chasing ego got in the way.

The single biggest open secret of the successful is this: never give up.

The Xbox actually put MS $4 billion in the hole so far. The 360 has only added to that.

Wii looks very promising. Most of the complaints surrounding it seem to be because it's something new. People just aren't used to it. Some are scared of it. etc.


Key analysts are predicting Xbox 360 to run a profit early next year.

However, I think anyone should be able to give it's unsalted opinion of anything. Let the reader be the judge of wether or not this or that person has the right to speak as such. We all have the right to speak or not to speak.

I don't like the Wii, because I simply don't see the appeal of a lightfun that you need to swing around to make your game work. What I would like is new ways of imput that don't concern spastic movements, but are rather refinements of current controllers.

On games, I think every game has a right to excist, and obviously not every game can be AAA, or should be. If there is a market for a game for a certain consumer with a particular taste, then it should be there, and it will have nothing to loose by not being liked by someone else.

Also I like the new Turok game, I think it could be cool, even though it does look generic in some ways as of yet, I still want to play it. Prey also looks generic in some ways, call it Doom 4, and I still want to play it.

Anyways, eveyone is entitled to their taste in games and their opinions, aren't we all glad there is so much choice. :)

Bjorn Larsson

Re Hollywood and games. What you do get with a movie license may or may not be an appropriate game concept at the high level (most suck - agreed), but what you are more or less guaranteed is tail-wagoning the Hollywood marketing and public awareness machine, which helps on all levels not least garnering retail interest. Unfortunately games just don't have the kind of pull that movies do, Hollywood is still considered sexier in the West, and the majority of publishers are CLUELESS when it comes to marketing. Nowadays it seems creating a great and compelling game, well that is the EASY part - getting people to take notice and invest their time in it, now that's not so easily if you want to reach out beyond the core demographic. Probably the main reason EA still rules - they know how to create titles that are comparatively "easy" to market. Nothing lasts forever though...

Scott Miller

[Two comments deleted.]

I'm pretty tolerant of anti-Scott comments as long as they have substance to them. But if you're just going to troll here with worthless bashes, you're wasting your time because it takes less time to delete them you can type them.


oh did i not make a valid point?

Charles E. Hardwidge

I’m no big fan of the freedom of expression argument that’s doing the rounds, from one-on-one discussion to international politics. It sounds good and is a powerful rallying cry, but it’s unrealistic insofar as it’s toleration on selfish terms. It doesn’t take account of cause and effect. Lack of understanding and insensitivity has consequences, whether it’s boasting or running people down.

In the same way Scott's been promoting better design and marketing in games, I’ve got a parallel situation in political campaigning. Here, changes I advocated have become mainstream, and it looks like all I have to do is sit back and watch the clock go tick. When people get the message, switching the tilt from advocacy to encouragement may be more useful and less wearing.

I might not be the worlds greatest game designer or statesman but I’ve got at least as good a grasp of the technical aspects as many at the top of the game. Like Hannibal of Carthage my weak spot is people. Interestingly, here’s where Nintendo is scooting between the extremes of Microsoft’s marketing and Sony’s technology. Both games and politics can usefully learn from this.

I know you can be surprised or frustrated at how long it takes for positive change to happen, Scott, but social lag suggests change can't happen any faster. Indeed, I've observed simple but significant ideas generally take about a decade to rise to the top, and another decade to be usefully implemented. This doesn't matter whether we're talking about the balance of authority within society or shifting from character to graphical interfaces.

The Tao is the worlds oldest guide to power and advocates doing nothing. I think, I get it.


Scott, you missed the spot. Not only that, you are a complete loser.

Do you ever browse around forums? The forums I visit are full of people who'd rather play the next Hitman today than tomorrow. Besides, Tomb Raider is already out and therefore it is left behind on the E3. That makes sense: everyone (except you then...) already played the game and everyone comes for the new games. Sum up things here. Didn't you know that TRL hit a temporare first spot in all the international gamecharts?

Oh why did I respond in first place? It seems you like Resistance: Fall of Men. A GAME WITHOUT ANY - NOT A SINGLE - NEW IDEA! It's all Half-Life 2 meets Call of Duty packed in more grey colours.

Sjeesh Scott, you s*ck.


Scott, you completely missed it. You have not played a single game on Wii and yet you are judging it. Maybe some developers have problems with the remot, that could very well be true. But I bet that says more about the developers then about the controller. They finally need to use their brains. Nintendo, and other developers (Ubisoft) have shown that it can work very well.

Your market share predictions are also ridiculous. Nintendo at 15%, you would better make that 40% or something in that line. The Nintendo DS has proven that innovation pays off, did it not? Everyone shouted that PSP would run over Nintendo, but it turned out to be the other way around.

So next-time, spend some more time playing instead of judging. Makes you look much more creditable.


And I forgot to mention that Red Steel is the first game since Duke Nukem (and maybe Max Payne had it) with that atmosphere I love so much. Instead of complaining about other people's work, it might be a good idea to start finishing that Duke game we are all waiting for since year and day.

Joe M

>> Oh, and heard a LOT of negative comments about the Wii controller from
>> developers who messed with it. Be very worried, Nintendo.
Nonsense. You must have been at a different E3 than me. The comments from developers who actually played it were wildly enthusiastic. Not only the most fun games at the show, bar none, but it also LOOKS fun ... the thing will market itself if they just put kiosks out in the mall. Great games, innovation, tremendous fun, easy to market ... be very worried, Sony. Sony was the absolute loser of this show ... PS3 games looked nothing special and played worse. Microsoft showed OK, the 360 will do OK ... expect it to take second place after the Wii.

>> Didn't get to see it myself because I didn't have 2+ hours to wait in
>> line. What a dumb way to run a booth, meanwhile the open booths of Sony
>> and Microsoft I explored fully.
Make a friggin' phone call already. Gamedevs who called a Nintendo rep skipped the line.

Frankly, it amazes me that a developer of a console FPS would not have made more effort to play Metroid 3 on the Wii. It controlled beautifully, even easier (if not quite as accurate) as a mouse. I will never go back to primitive gamepad console FPS again.


Lol, funny to read some of the reactions in here! :)

I think it's totally cool that a person like Scott, don't have a problem critisizing other devlopers in public, as long as he is honest about it.

And judging from the many online sites linking to his blog, I think his opinions has more impact than some people in here have expressed! ;)

Being mostly interested in PC gaming and the FPS genre, I don't really care about the Wii, so have no opinion here.
But I generally agree with Scott's viewpoints of the mentioned devs. that is milking IP's and making half attempted titles.

All in all, fun and interesting read Scott! :)

The comments to this entry are closed.

My Photo

Recent reads

  • : The Little Book That Beats the Market

    The Little Book That Beats the Market
    I've totally revised my investment strategy on this once-in-a-lifetime investment book. Very quick read, as it gets right to the point. (*****)

  • : The One Percent Doctrine

    The One Percent Doctrine
    Superb book on the policies that lead us to the current Iraq war. Two words: Blame Cheney! (Well, and Bush too, but he's not the linchpin.) (*****)

  • : Brands & Gaming

    Brands & Gaming
    Mostly inconsequential book that doesn't really explain HOW to make a successful game brand. Instead, it focuses on marketing for game brands. (***)

  • : Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected

    Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
    Truly wonderful book, mostly dealing with history, by one of my all-time favorite writers. The final chapters, written in 1995, give a clear reason why America should not be in Iraq, if you read the underlying message. (*****)

  • : Myth & the Movies

    Myth & the Movies
    Great study of a wide range of hit movies, using The Hero's Journey as a measuring stick. Very useful for game developers. (****)

  • : Kitchen Confidential

    Kitchen Confidential
    This chef is clearly in love with his writing, but the fact that he's a non-innovative, hack chef makes this book less insightful than I was hoping. Still, a fun read. (***)

  • : See No Evil

    See No Evil
    I do not list 2-star or lower books here, and this book almost didn't make the cut. A somewhat unexciting behind-the-scenes look at the life of a CIA field agent working against terrorism. The book's title is spot on. (***)

  • : The Discoverers

    The Discoverers
    Love books like this, that offer deep insights into the growth of science throughout history, and giving a foundation of context that makes it all the more incredible that certain people were able to rise above their time. (*****)

  • : Disney War

    Disney War
    I started reading this and simply could not stop. A brilliant behind-the-scenes account of the mistakes even renowned CEOs make, and the steps they'll take to control their empire, even against the good of shareholders. (*****)

  • : The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health

    The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
    Do not read this book if you prefer to believe that the government actually gives a poop about your well being. (*****)

  • : From Reel to Deal

    From Reel to Deal
    Subtitled, "Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film." And much of it applied to the game industry. A revealing look at the true machinery of movie making. (****)

  • : The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge

    The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge
    The building of world's most technological structure for its time, against pitfalls, deaths and political intrigue. An amazing tale, told amazingly well. (*****)

  • Richard Feynman: What Do You Care What Other People Think?

    Richard Feynman: What Do You Care What Other People Think?
    My first book by Feymann will not be my last. A champion of common sense and insightful thought, Feymann's story-telling about life's events is riveting. (*****)

  • : Marketing Warfare

    Marketing Warfare
    A revised re-release of one of the all-time best marketing books. Only bother reading this is you care about running a successful company. (*****)

  • : YOU: The Owner's Manual

    YOU: The Owner's Manual
    Another good overview of way to protect your health in the long run. It's all about prevention, rather than hoping medicine can fix us when we're broken (i.e. heart disease or cancer). (****)

  • : The Universe in a Single Atom

    The Universe in a Single Atom
    Perfectly subtitled, "The Convergence of Science and Spirituality." Buddhism meets relativity, and believe it or not, there's a lot of common ground. (****)

  • : See Spot Live Longer

    See Spot Live Longer
    Feeding your dog at least 65% protein? Most likely not, as all dry dog foods (and most canned, too) absolutely suck and have less than 30% protein. And that is seriously hurting your dog's health in the long run. (****)

  • : 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free

    17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free
    Anyone who needs motivation to make something of their life -- we only get one chance, after all! -- MUST read this book. (*****)

  • : Ultrametabolism

    Perfect follow up to Ultraprevention. Health is at least 80% diet related--nearly all of us have the potential to live to at least 90, if we just eat better. (****)

  • : How to Tell a Story

    How to Tell a Story
    Great overview of story creation, especially from the point of view of making a compelling stories, with essential hooks. (****)

All-Time Best